Thursday, July 9, 2009

Yes we can! A Non-Historical Book Review.



Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us
by Seth Godin

Cover: I'm going to admit that I'm not crazy about the cover. From afar it looks like some sort of laboratory slide. Otherwise, it's just your typical informational, possibly do-it-yourself type of cover.

Summary: The modern world, largely due to the internet, no longer allows for traditional marketing to succeed. People are too stuck on status quo and following the old industry pathways and sabotaging themselves from success. In this short examination of modern successful leaders (and not necessarily ones making headlines), Godin shows us how we can "be the change we want to see" and find communities of like-minded people. According to this book, we all have leadership potential within us, and the potential to create entirely new, creative, and successful businesses, organizations, and communities.

My Review: I was recommended by a friend of mine to read this book since I've been into blogging (this isn't my first blog, after all) and I appreciated a lot of what Godin had to say.

The book is written in a very casual style. There isn't a strict, chapter-by-chapter breakdown on how to start your own breakthrough company from the ground-up. It's rather a collection of brief vignettes and success stories, along with various lists of common sense qualities that lie in good and creative leadership.

Godin writes significantly about blogging, and I think we bloggers would have to agree with his general truths: we thought about what we were interested in investigating and talking about, found a way to get a message out there, and looked for communities of people with similar interests. I think for the most part, though, that bloggers are naturally motivated to get their writing out in the open, rather than as calculating as Godin describes in his book. However, I believe he was writing more for general business and organizing, which might use blogging as a tool over a cornerstone, rather than strict blogging and blogging circles.

It's a quick read: I did it in about an hour and a half, but I think it was well worth it. As a soon-to-be senior in college, I'm already looking for jobs and future careers, and I came away excited about the dynamic future of business. In this tough economy, it's wonderful to read someone who sees opportunity (or as he calls it, "obligation") for growth and development.

Visit the author's blog

Buy this book on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment