Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Cleopatra's Daughter will sweep you away to Alexandria

Cleopatra's Daughter
Cleopatra's Daughter by thecourtiersbook featuring Missoni accessories

Hey guys, check out the collage I made! Maybe these are a few things I would want to wear if I were traveling to Egypt... or maybe only Ancient Egypt... at any rate, it's what I wanted to wear after I finished reading Cleopatra's Daughter. One thing I'll reveal about the book before I post my review of the book in two days is that I felt transported to the place and the time period. The author lets you get a taste of what daily life would have been like for the patricians of Rome, but she does so by sweeping you up in the story, rather than getting bogged down in the details. You're surprised to look down and find yourself wearing jeans and a t-shirt, rather than flowing silk tunics and elaborate pearl necklaces.

In a different way, today I'm going to link to a few places where you can find out how you can see Egypt today, and possibly some of the places that appear in Cleopatra's Daughter.


Official Tourism Website
http://www.egypt.travel/

Lonely Planet: Egypt
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/egypt

Atelier Egypt

http://www.atelieregypt.biz/
The main website for this company appears to be down right now, but I'll link you to a satisfied customer review... this travel company allows you to rent a personal dahabeeyah, or the type of cruising vessels favored in the earlier part of the twentieth century, to take down the Nile. You're of course paying for a full crew to man the boat, but it kind of sounds like my ultimate vacation. You get to stop in docks that tourists can't always reach on the big boats, and their appeal also comes from their personal touch to make each trip a unique voyage.

Remember, you have until midnight on Saturday to enter my giveaway for a signed copy of Cleopatra's Daughter or The Heretic Queen -- go HERE to enter!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete